Our Canada Day celebrations called for my red and white Violet Top (aff. link) blogged here, and Grainline Maritime Shorts! I’ve made this pattern before here, and two other unblogged versions. From my other pairs, I learned that the pockets are too deep as drafted, so I shortened them again, and that I like a little extra length in the leg. I added 2″ to the bottom. Other than that, I made my measured size as per the pattern.
I picked up this black non-stretch woven at a local fabric store; one that seems to mostly sell fabric from the 90’s… This was labelled cotton flannel, but judging by how it presses, wears, and breathes, it’s a polyester twill.
Either way, these shorts came together easily, even with four pockets and a fly closure. I decided I needed them to wear for Canada day, so I cut out the fabric before work, then hand-sewed some of the more difficult parts together at work — The pocket facing and the pocket bag are a little tricky to attach smoothly, but I love the end result. After I got home from work, I had enough time to put the rest of the shorts together (and even hem them!) so I could wear them for the celebrations on Saturday.
Sorry for my distracted dogs… We quickly snapped these photos in the middle of our Canada day walks. Of course, we were home with all the doors closed before the fireworks started, because doggos…