2016 has been a fascinating year for me. While I can’t believe it’s almost over, I kind of love sitting here and looking back on the past 12 months… So much has happened, so much has changed, and there’s so much to learn from it all.
Gillian over at Crafting a Rainbow does these Top 5 posts at the end of every year, and since I love looking back, I’m going to join in! You can see my Top 5 Hits post here, and my Top 5 Misses post here. So now it’s time for my Top 5 Non-Sewing Highlights.
The first half of my year was nearly consumed by sewing. I was completely absorbed and spent almost all of my spare time creating. And then in July, the rest of my life got a little crazy. My sewing was dialed back from then on. I’ve still been creating, and sewing is still my creative hobby, but the rest of my life certainly did take over. So what happened with the rest of my life, you ask? Well, here are my top 5 highlights:
- I adopted Gidget. Oh goodness, there’s no way this could be anything but my number one highlight for 2016. My wriggly, adorable, excitable and loyal little ball of love came home with me in August. Sometimes she’s a bit of a handful, and she certainly does require a lot of my time and energy, but her endless love and adoration makes up for everything. There has never been a single moment that I regretted bringing her home. She is absolutely everything I wanted in a dog(/baby), and she brings me so much joy.
- We moved into a house I love. We’re only renting, but after two absolutely terrible landlords in a row, and a couple less than ideal homes in the past, I was beyond excited to move into our current place in March. It’s adorable, it’s pet-friendly, it has a whole room that is dedicated to my sewing, and it has a whole garage dedicated to my husband’s many hobbies.
- My husband and I took our first roadtrip alone together since our honeymoon. Marc and I have taken a few trips/roadtrips since our wedding, but we’ve always seemed to have friends or family with us. This summer, we left everyone behind, and we went for a long weekend away. It was short, but absolutely lovely, and much appreciated. I’m going to try much harder to make sure we get away together at least once a year from now on.
- I earned my motorcycle license! It was a terrifying experience, and to be perfectly honest, I haven’t been on a bike since my course. But I’m still really proud of myself for taking that first step, and I’m sure next summer I’ll get out there (and re-learn everything) and continue with this adventure.
- I shaved my head! Okay… well, part of it. For some reason, I’ve always wanted to just shave my head. Just buzz it all off and be done with it. This summer, I allowed myself a small compromise, and I got an undercut – where a small part of the back of my head was shaved. Just because! Why not? I really loved it when it was freshly shaved, but I found it too high-maintenance, so I started growing it out. Which apparently is really slow and annoying… Ah well. Achievement get, right?